Thursday, March 22, 2012

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy BURRITO!! Hey hey BURRITO!

I went back to work this week, which has been quite the adjustment for both of us. The house is far from spotless, I haven't cooked once this week, and our laundry is piling up. Not to mention, the healthy lifestyle we were living is slowly but surely heading in the wrong direction. 

Ben is mostly concerned about his bad breakfast habits. He's been waking up really early the last couple of weeks, and I'm not one for early mornings so he is left to fend for himself when it comes to food. 

He sent me a blog post about pre-cooking bulk breakfast burritos and freezing them for busy mornings. I needed blown eggs for an easter dying project I'm working on- So I thought this would be a good opportunity to use the yolk from those eggs. Normally I would say "Kill two birds with one stone", but that saying just doesn't seem right now that we have our lovely chickens :)

Here is the blog post:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2009/02/20/bulk-breakfast-burritos-convenient-cheap-healthy-and-easier-than-you-think/

I made 2 different variations. The one on the left is just egg and breakfast sausage. The one on the right is onions, green onions, black beens and eggs. 



I chose to try 3 different types of tortillas to figure out which one froze the best (corn, white corn, and whole wheat with flax meal). Once all the cooking was complete, I put the egg mixture on a tortilla, added salsa, folded it into a burrito and wrapped it in saran wrap. Ben helped at this point, it was much easier with two people!


We have been eating them for the past 3 days. All you have to do is take off the saran wrap, loosely wrap it in a paper towel (to soak up moisture) and microwave it for about 50 seconds. They taste great! The flax meal tortillas fall apart immediately so I won't be using them again, but both corn hold up really well. My favorite one is the egg and sausage in the true corn tortilla, with a little bit of hot sauce of course :)

The best part about these quick and easy breakfast burritos is that they are high in protein and each under 180 calories. I'm not loving the amount of carbs, but for now it is a good fix for our problem. I welcome any suggestions for other quick and healthy breakfast ideas!

2 comments:

  1. i had to read that "each under 180 calories" bit at least 6 times. breakfast burritos! healthy?! sign me up!
    xx jes, www.twosmuppies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these- delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete